Skip to main content

A Grandmother's Legacy

 

Wow, I have not posted in a while. Sorry for the absence, the spring of this year has and continues to be very busy. During March my 96 year old grandmother passed away. The experience of being with her in her final weeks was at times consuming and I have continued to process her life and our loss of her presence with us.

I have intended to write something about her life and her encouragement of me as her grandson. As I have reflected on my experiences with her, my most fond memories are of sharing stories of her childhood and early adult years. She grew up in northern Georgia and except for a short time on the west coast, lived in that area most of her life. She was the last surviving sibling in her family though she was not the youngest. She was a short woman, but size was not a reflection of her true strength and determination. Her father lost the family farm due to economic stresses before she was born and she grew up watching him work with determination in various jobs to provide for his family. She carried this strength into her own early adulthood. She married my grandfather and they remained married for over fifty years.

One of my favorite memories that my grandmother shared with me was that prior to being married, as a young working adult in southern TN, she was part of a mountain climbing club. I did not know this about my grandmother until she was at least 90 years old, but it gave us something that we shared. I had led several groups of at-risk youth on climbing and rappelling adventures in the Rockies in CO. Climbing mountains has given me some of my most difficult but also rewarding moments. I have wished I could have walked with my grandmother in early 20’s as she climbed those peaks of the Great Smokies. I have some old black and white photos of her climbing conquests that serve as reminders of her strength and resilience.

Hearing the stories of our family history is important. Though I know of some stories from my family that stretch back generations, just knowing what our parents have done in the past can be helpful. Children will frequently enjoy listening to parents share of their experiences as a child. These family stories provide a sense of identification and connection that build strong bonds. Find some time this weekend and share a story or two with your child. The benefits will last a long time.

My Grandmother on a mountain in Tennessee.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sacred Spaces

This is a poem composed by Dr. Mark DeYoung. All the spaces, whether filled with joy or pain in families are sacred. Families exist in all kinds of places and spaces The space between birth and death The space between a marriage and a divorce. Grief and rejoicing Attention and neglect A father's hand that can be protective and possibly violent A mother's voice that can be comforting and possibly rejecting  The space between failure and success The space between togetherness and lonliness  Siblings who can be best of friends and worst enemies Homes that can be filled with rage and laughter The space between substance abuse and sobriety Encouragement and criticism Safety and injury Being chosen and being ignored Wounds and healing The distance between these dichotomies is made sacred For it is in these spaces families express and experience, Life, Comfort, Mercy, Forgiveness, Grace, Reconciliation, Hope, and Love.

Attachment and Wild Things

As a young child I remember reading "Where the Wild Things Are" and I don't feel like I related to Max. I was a pretty easy going, compliant kid and can't remember being sent to my room without my supper. Now as a father and family therapist I have come to see that Maurice Sendak had an amazing insight into the world of children and their experiences. Max is a young boy in the developmental middle of great emotional growth and his defiance and tantrums one night lead him to episode after episode of chaos. Most parents of young children can relate to witnessing similar episodes, and we know that a young child's immature emotional brains can easily become overwhelmed, resulting in impulsivity, defiance, and tantrums. Max's final explosion towards his mother results in being sent to his room and his adventure with the Wild Things. His time with the Wild Things serves as a metaphor for every child's attempts to tame the monstrous and overwhelming feelings t

Authority Problems

We have an authority problem. Recent news overwhelms with incidents of blatant disrespect for authority figures. Here are a few samples. Tom Brady appeals his suspension for cheating and wins reprieve from a four game suspension. Our culture’s worship of sports heroes has sunk to a new low when blatant cheating is disregarded and a Superbowl champion is allowed to get away without penalty. I think Pete Rose is probably pretty upset. Two high school football athletes, apparently angry over a call made by a referee assaults the referee during the game. The extent to which adults were involved is still unclear. Four police officers are violently gunned down in assassination attacks in the past few weeks for no reason other than wearing the uniform. A fourteen year old student brings an engineering project to school that looks suspiciously dangerous and refuses to put it away when asked by two teachers. Authorities' response to his choices are labeled as racism and